William F. Jessee, MD, FACMPE joined Integrated Healthcare Strategies, now a part of the Gallagher Human Resources & Compensation Consulting practice in October, 2011, after serving for more than 12 years as President and Chief Executive Officer of the Medical Group Management Association (MGMA). He also holds an academic appointment as Clinical Professor of Health Systems Management and Policy at the University of Colorado School of Public Health.
Dr. Jessee is one of the nation’s leading experts on physician services management and hospital-physician integration. In particular, he is skilled in the development and implementation of strategies for creating aligned economic interests among physicians, hospitals and payers. He is also widely recognized as an expert on health policy issues and the role of governance in quality improvement and patient safety.
Before joining MGMA, Dr. Jessee was Vice President for Quality and Managed Care Standards at the American Medical Association. His experience also includes service as CEO of a regional integrated delivery system in Louisville, Kentucky; as a Vice President of the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations; and as corporate Vice President for Quality Management at Humana Inc. From 1980-1986, Dr. Jessee was a full time academician as Associate Professor of Health Policy and Administration at the University of North Carolina, School of Public Health, Chapel Hill.
An honors graduate of Stanford University, Dr. Jessee received his medical degree at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine. He took residency training in pediatrics at Indiana University Hospitals, Indianapolis, and completed his training in preventive medicine at the University of Maryland Hospital, Baltimore.
- More than twelve years leading MGMA, a national association for managers of medical group practices. Extensive experience in all facets of the management of cost-effective, profitable, high quality medical groups, achieving high levels of patient and physician satisfaction
- Nine years as a board member of Exempla Healthcare, a three hospital system. Extensive experience in physician practice acquisition, strategic integration of physician services, and development and use of metrics for improving individual and organizational performance
- In-depth knowledge of hospital board, management, and clinical staff responsibilities for patient care quality and safety
- Extensive experience in developing strategic plans and initiatives for achieving the clinical and financial integration necessary to meet payer and purchaser demands for cost-effectiveness, quality, safety and patient satisfaction
- A nationally well-known educator on physician leadership, hospital and health system governance, and ACO development and implementation